2 TBS EVOO
2 cups onion, diced
3-4 large garlic cloves, minced
3 cups peeled, seeded + diced butternut squash
1 large sweet potato, peeled + diced
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 can (14 oz) each diced tomatoes + light coconut milk
1/2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
1 bunch chard, stemmed + finely chopped
3 TBS tomato paste
1 TBS If & When Cumin Garlic Preserved Meyer Lemon Paste
3 tsp apple cider vinegar, to taste
1.5 tsp each - ground turmeric + cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Fine sea salt to taste (pink works well)
Cilantro or fresh parsley as garnish
1. Heat EVOO in Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add onion + garlic; sauté until tender. Add squash, sweet potatoes, cumin, turmeric + chili powder. Stir 5-7 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
3. Add lentils, tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Increase heat + bring to boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium, add If & When + coconut milk. Simmer uncovered for ~ 30 minutes. Stir occasionally, until the squash and potato are fork tender. Reduce heat if necessary.
5. Add apple cider vinegar to taste. Optional: Blend the stew for 2-3 seconds with a handheld blender to thicken the broth.
6. Stir in chard, cook until greens wilt (2-3 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
7. Scoop cooked rice into a bowl and ladle stew on top. Garnish with minced cilantro or parsley and a dusting of chili powder, for added heat.